HOW I OVERCOME FEAR😱.

 

Mum once tried to stop me from being afraid. 

How she did it will make you laugh small😄

When I was still so young, I was always so  scared of the dark or any burial souvenir.

One night, Mum's phone started ringing while we were in another room. I tried to distact her from not calling me to go pick it up for her.
But my effort to distract her from calling me to pick up her phone for her proved abortive.

I didn't want her to think I was afraid but I was so afraid that I had to start begging one of my siblings to go with me.

Can't remember exactly what happened but she discovered I couldn't go alone.

Immediately she learnt that I was afraid, she took me out of the house to the church' toilet (we were living in the church compound at the time), and locked me inside.

I cried out in fear, banged the door, screamed into the dark night, but no, she refused to open the door until I keep quiet.

I was so scared.
Looking around me made things worse.
Closing my eyes made things bad.
I didn't know what to do.

I just started crying and shouting, 'I will not fear again. I'm not afraid of anything'.

When she saw I had calmed down, she opened the door.

(I later learnt that the things that were making me scared inside the toilet were just ordinary cobwebs😂)

The story is actually funny, I mean, who does that -put your child in the toilet to stop her from being afraid?
Obviously my mum.

***
Fear can be described as False Evidences Appearing Real.

It goes deep into the mind if allowed to.
It's an illusion.
Fear leaves one incapacitated.
Fear takes hold of the totality of a man.
Fear is not a friend of man.
It's meant to destroy him; cause depression, discouragement, distraction, stagnancy, low self-esteem and uneasiness.

There are alot of things that cause fear; fear of what the future holds, fear of failure, fear of the darkness, fear of the crowd, fear of making mistakes, and alot more.

Here are a few tips to what I do to overcome fear:

I SPEAK THE WORD.
'For God has not given me the spirit of Fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind',

'All things will work out for me, so I need not be afraid of whatsoever',

'Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for thou art with me',

'With God on my side, I can do all things'

I LISTEN TO INSPIRING MUSIC
What we listen to go a long way in affecting our minds.



'Oceans- Where feet may fail' by the Australian worship group, Hillsong United, usually do a lot in lifting my spirit.
There are others too though.

I READ INSPIRING BOOKS

I LISTEN TO PEOPLE WITH SAME EXPERIENCE

I FACE MY FEAR HEAD-ON 
Another way I overcome fear is to face it head-on.
If I walk away from it, I will never overcome it.

You cannot pass exams without writing it first.

And,

What doesn't kill one, makes one stronger💪💪.

So I shun the voice of fear to take a bold step of faith.

I LIFT UP MY EYES TO THE ONLY PLACE HELP CAN COME FROM.



I will lift up my eyes to the hills-- From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)


I wouldn't love to fear because it makes me loose trust in God.

Have you ever been scared of anything?

In what way do you overcome fear?



Comments