THE PERKS OF BEING A VOLUNTEER.

 


HEYO!

If you are not reading this by Saturday, 23rd of September, 2023, blame me, myself and I, and no one else, or nothing else. Chuckles. 

Well, I guess am here, after so many typing and backspacing, and retyping and backspacing throughout the week, and almost giving it up to go do something else. We here! We here now babyyyy!

Seems you're looking at me with the bombastic side-eye, and saying 'Who's your baby? Let's be Guarded ooo.' Hehehe. I know I know. I play too much, you have to manage me like that, yunno. (Gives the puppy dog eye).


Following the title of today's blog post, you'd already have a hint of what today's article is about.


Let's talk Volunteering.

Volunteering is an offer you make freely, without a care if you get paid or not. It is when you give your time, labour, for an act of service. 

This involve that you are part of an organization, or community, that brings impact, or value. Your community could visit the orphanage home, or schools, or hold a campaign. 

Any of these services can be seen in the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), that were built by the United Nations, to make the world a more better place to live in.

One of the many lessons I'd learnt from volunteering involves the fact that I do not have to join or accept all volunteering services, but just the one, or the few, that I would be so committed and devoted to. 

Been either passively, or actively, involved in few volunteering services over the years, I'd get to enjoy some benefits, which are as listed below, using the two projects I was actively involved in, in 2023, as the point of message:


1. 

Connection and Socialization.

You'd get to connect with other people; who could become purposeful friends along the way.

You'd get to connect with other skilled and talented persons.

Socializing with people boosts your self-confidence, self-esteem, communication skills, mental health, and all that.

At The Adeyemi Foundation' Beautiful Mind Project, I got to meet, amongst the volunteers, gifted and great people that encouraged me to see myself better, and also find joy in serving people.

At Get On LinkedIn-LAUTECH, I met with friends and talented people. One of the friends I got still reminds me of the ideas we spoke on while we connected.




2.

While volunteering, you'd learn new things that you'd never had known. You'd learn, unlearn, and relearn. 

You'd learn how to handle a project, or that same programme you volunteered for, if it was to be your brainchild. 




3.

You'd get the privilege of having to impart your knowledge, or make use of your skill, the best way you know how to, and it's so filling. 


Joy (the capacity woman, as we call her) had to stand on a chair to make sure her message was being passed across. So funny, but inspiring. She was so passionate.


4.

You'd get enlightened; more aware, and more self-informed.

You'd get 'AHA' moments; epiphanies.

You'd get a more sense of purpose and direction.

I mean, I did got all of those, and it might be one of those things you'd get too, if you put your heart to the work.




5.

You'd get to learn from those who have gone ahead, and learn about how their passion has lead them to facing their fears head on, pushing through the storm to become, and you'd be encouraged.



6.

You'd get to be more flexible; opening yourself to coming out of your comfort zone, to work in a field you have absolutely no knowledge about.


 ===

Well, volunteering is so fulfilling, and I hope the 6 perks resonated with you while reading? Let me know all about your thoughts in the comment section.

And, I want you to make it a habit of jotting down lessons from each volunteering service you go for. It would help you in a lot of ways.

You're welcome. (Proud much!)

See you when I do see you!

===

READ MY 3-IN-1 GIST.😌


Comments